Facts about Universal Credit (UC)
- A working age benefit to replace existing benefits including Tax Credits and Housing Benefit.
- When you claim UC all your old benefits will stop.
- You will receive one monthly payment. This will include an element for your rent.
- You will normally have wait 6 weeks before getting your first payment – this can lead to arrears of rent.
- If you are under 21, you may not get any help with your housing costs.
Univeral Credit is being rolled out fully from October 2017 for Kilmarnock Job Centre areas and from February 2018 for Ayr Job Centre.
You can find full information about Universal Credit including including who should apply now here.
What can I do to prepare?
- Pay extra rent to cover delays in UC payment.
- Know how much your rent is.
- Have a working bank account.
- Have an email address and know where to get online.
- Read your tenant newsletter for updates and keep us up to date about your household.
What do I do when I have to apply for UC?
- Contact us as soon as you apply. This will help you get support and prevent any issues with your claim.