Facts about Universal Credit (UC)
- A working age benefit to replace existing benefits including Tax Credits and Housing Benefit.
- When you claim UC all your old benefits will stop.
- Universal Credit may not be right for you. If you wish to discuss this please contact our money advice team.
- You will receive one monthly payment. This will include an element for your rent.
- You will normally have to wait 5 weeks before getting your first payment – this can lead to arrears of rent.
You can find full information about Universal Credit including including who should apply here.
What can I do to prepare?
- Pay extra rent to cover delays in UC payment.
- Know how much your rent is.
- Have a working bank account.
- Have an email address and know how to get online.
- Read your tenant newsletter for updates and keep us up to date about your household.
What do I do when I have to apply for UC?
- Contact us as soon as you apply. This will help you get support and prevent any issues with your claim.